Sunday, January 4

Caterpillars in the Sink

I remember one of the first business lunches I had after moving to Seattle years ago. I was enjoying a really lovely salad, and then I looked down and saw...a leaf was moving. A tiny green caterpillar emerged a moment later, and we blinked at each other. (I know, they can't blink, don't be so literal) The server happened to be standing there and noticed this as well, and his response: "well, you know we take our organics very seriously!" And that, dear readers, is how you know you're in the PacNW.

I thought of this tonight as I was cleaning up a bunch of kale to make kale chips. I got a bag full a few weeks ago at our CSA here in Pennsylvania (they have a root cellar and greenhouse so we are lucky enough to access fresh produce throughout the winter), and had been meaning to get to it. The new year, with all those take-on-the-world resolutions, motivated me to do so as part of the cleaning out of the fridge, the inventory of the freezer...you get the idea. Next week: it all goes off the rails. Anyway...


 I chopped and tossed each leaf into a big bowl of water to jump start the rinsing, and as I pulled it all back out to spin dry I spotted a few wee caterpillars, sadly (?) dead and drowned at the bottom of the bowl. (*This also explains the larger caterpillar EPH spotted working its way across the kitchen floor last week...although it poses the new question of how exactly the little guy got out of the fridge. EPH was impressed with the effort.) So yes indeed, organic kale here. Anyhoo, the chips. I attempted them once years ago only to be rewarded with a smoky mess of a kitchen, so have stayed away since, intimidated. But now thanks to the CSA there's much kale in the fridge, and I am determined to waste none of this bounty. EPH's sister was kind enough to share her much-tested recipe, and I am happy to report I have conquered the kale!



It's pretty simple, and the result is thin, crispy, salty, and addictive. All you need is kale, olive oil, and salt. Preheat the oven to 325-350, depending on if your oven tends to run hot or cool. Take your bundle of kale and give it a good rinse (watch out for caterpillars). Slice out the spines, then rip/cut into roughly 2" pieces. Dry, dry, and dry again - wet leaves will not a good chip make. I dried and then threw it in the salad spinner for good measure. Toss it in a bowl with a drizzle of olive oil - really work the oil around so it distributes, but don't use a ton. Sprinkle salt and pepper,or whatever spices you want, really, and lay them out on a baking sheet in a single layer. I put parchment under them for good measure, but I'm not sure that's mandatory. Pop the sheets into the oven for about 8 minutes (or closer to 10 if you're using curly kale, apparently). Keep an eye on it, because it will cross from a yummy hint of smokiness to a charred disaster in a quick second. Pull it out, leave it to cool for a few minutes, and then serve! (Or if you are making it for later...put it aside promptly. If you test a piece you'll eat them all.) Be prepared to go through many rounds of baking due to the single layer rule, but otherwise it's super easy. Enjoy!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment