Thursday, May 28

Whoa there, mini-farm


Y'all, the garden has gone haywire.

So for those of you not in the MidAtlantic region: we kind of skipped spring around here. It was cold cold cold chilly nice-for-about-a-minute and then boom, 85 degrees. So be it -- but it seems to have confused my plants. I had growth spurts across the board, but now everything is flowering and I have a feeling I'm going to have produce ahead of schedule. This might not seem so bad, but these plants haven't gotten quite tall enough yet to support the produce so I'm not real sure what I'm going to end up with in terms of crop yield. (Farm lingo, obviously.)


That said, there ARE lots of blossoms, on both tomato plants as well as the zucchini, and the corn continues to climb.

(Since the below photos, by the way, the tomato plants have grown another inch or so and also been pruned a bit - they still look bushy but not as unruly)






In other news...we still have no oven. Recent CSA hauls included potatoes and leeks, so since frittatas and the like are out of the question...I'm thinking I have arrived at the point in my life where vichyssoise is the answer. I'll let you all know how that works out.


No comments:

Post a Comment