Monday, November 4

Grumpy but grateful

Apparently there's this thing going on with Facebook this month...you're supposed to put something you're grateful for every day. Seems like a lovely exercise, but I don't think other people really care what I'm grateful for. And really, 30 days is a lot. Some days I'm just GRUMPY. I understand that's the point - to focus on what you're blessed with in life - but, I mean, grumpy. 

That said, I think often of how lucky I am to have a kitchen, and a good one - and a well-stocked one. I regularly volunteer at my local food bank, and am constantly reminded that I have nothing about which to complain. There's one client who has started coming since I began volunteering. When he first came he would take the full amount we offered him. After about a month, he started taking less, saying he didn't have access to an entire fridge anymore. Then not too long after that he wasn't able to take any food that would need refrigeration, and the past few weeks I haven't seen him at all. He reminds me very much of a guy I was friends with in college, and I can't help but worry about him. Things are tough for a lot of people, and the food bank keeps getting busier. With the SNAP cuts that just kicked in, it will only get worse over the next few months - busy to begin with, between the cold and the holidays. Friends, if you have some time or some financial ability, consider calling up your local food pantry to see what they need most. It's a tough time out there and we're lucky to have what we have. 

Anyway. That's my bit for this morning. Recipe updates, coming up shortly. 

"We rise by lifting others."
-Robert Ingersoll

No comments:

Post a Comment