Tuesday, November 5

Project Update: Week Three

In case my flurry of posts over the last 24 hours didn't give it away, the project had some snafus towards the end of last week, and I got a little discombobulated. It was mostly a success, although Thursday's leftover night moved to Friday due to pre-Trick-or-treating snacks getting out of hand and precluding dinner. Then the eggplant parmesan got bumped further to Sunday, because Dungeness crabs have started coming in fresh for the season so that happened Saturday night (yum). But in the end it worked out.

This week is off to a bumpy start as well. Monday night crept up at found me standing in the kitchen at quarter past five, trying to figure out what protein I could scramble together to create a meal -- and the end result with leftover eggplant parm, whole wheat pasta (sausage for EPF), and a tomato/avocado salad. All delicious but I felt like I had kind of copped out, between the leftovers and the lack of planning. Here's the rest of the week, I hope:

  • Tuesday: pan seared sole and zucchini (the sole is very fast-cooking, as is the zucchini, so works for a late night dinner as Tuesdays are.)
  • Wednesday: lamb loin and sauteed rainbow chard (The lamb was buried in the freezer and needed cooking. We didn't have a lot of luck last time we tried a loin, as opposed to chops, but maybe this time will be better. The rainbow chard is this week's challenge vegetable! It's kind of a stretch for me as I have a really hard time with greens - I have burned kale chips, and never successfully simmered down spinach in a pan. But I have high hopes nonetheless!)
  • Thursday: pork tenderloin & acorn squash. (This was the semi-challenge vegetable last week - I just halved it, dumped in some butter, brown sugar and sea salt, and roasted it, a la this recipe, only with a little less brown sugar. It was delicious, so much so that EPF asked for it again, and it's still in the farmers markets. I haven't made a tenderloin in a while but I used to make a mean one, so we'll see if I still can.)
  • Friday: we have houseguests, so will likely have dinner out. 

Three nights, one tricky meat and one challenge vegetable. Here we go!

No comments:

Post a Comment